DoHistoryArchivesite maptech helpabout sitesearch

The History of Augusta
North, James W.
Published by Clapp & North, Augusta
Location of original: Massachusetts Historical Society, Boston, Massachusetts
View thumbnails of the 26 pages in this document
View Image
View Image

Page 178


Joseph North.

and clothes" valued at £40, and "104 oz. plate at 6s. 11d. per oz." A piece of this plate, a tankard, is now in possession of a great grand-daughter, Hannah E. North of Connecticut, and has engraved upon it the united coats of arms of the North and Pitson families with the date 1756, a copy of which appears on a preceding page. Mrs. Benjamin Davis of Augusta, another great grand-daughter, has cartoons of Raphael, and plate looking glasses of great thickness, with beveled edges, in antique frames, which ornamented the walls at Forts Frederic and St. George's during Capt. North's residence in those forts.

    HON. JOSEPH NORTH, Capt. John North's eldest son, was born at St. George's river in 1739, and passed his youth with his father, in the troublesome time of the early French and Indian wars. At the age of eighteen, when his father was appointed to the command of Fort St. George's, he was for a time in charge of the fort at Pemaquid. He seems to have acquired his father's business of a surveyor, and after his death to have removed to Boston, where he married August 28, 1764, Hannah Flagg, daughter of Gershom Flagg of Boston, a Plymouth proprietor. From Boston he went to Lancaster, Mass., where his sons John and Gershom were born. He next removed to Harvard, Mass., whither his father-in-law had preceded him. Here his son Joseph was born in 1771. The next year, 1772, he came to the Kennebec and settled in the plantation of Gardinerstown, on a five acre lot purchased by James Flagg in 1762, upon which Flagg had built house and barn. This was lot number two on McKecknie's plan, on the south side of Cobbosseecontee stream, and had been mortgaged to him by Flagg August 4, 1765,1 whereby he probably acquired title. This lot he afterwards, in 1786, sold to Maj. Seth Gay, and the house in which be lived is the curbed-roof building now standing at the head of Gay's Wharf, known as the "old North mansion," and " old post office," from having been occupied many years by Maj. Gay for a post office. In this building his only daughter Hannah was born June 29, 1774, and his youngest son James in September, 1777. He probably was induced to remove to the Kennebec by the interest he had in right of his wife in the Plymouth Company lands, and James Flagg's house which had fallen into his hands under his mortgage pointed to Cobbossee as his place of settlement.

1Original deed.
<   >

 Title page   Page v   Page vi   Page vii   Page viii 
 Page ix   Page x   Page xi   Page xii   Page 178 
 Page 179   Page 180   Page 203   Page 204   Page 205 
 Page 206   Page 210   Page 211   Page 212   Page 213 
 Page 214   Page 215   Page 226   Page 226 insert   Page 227 
 Page 228 

home your interests who was Martha? Martha's diary book film doing history archive on your own