Optimizing Your Experience:
- Document pages default to their image, rather than transcription,
version. For faster downloading, browse documents as text by clicking
the text icon (see example at right).
- AOL users:
- By default, AOL browsers use an image compression format that speeds
up downloads but diminishes quality. To view images on the DoHistory
site at their best quality, AOL users should turn off AOL's added image
compression. Try the following procedure, or contact AOL technical assistance:
- Go to MY AOL > PREFERENCES > WWW
- Under the GENERAL tab, delete the "temporary internet files"
- Under the WEB GRAPHICS tab, deselect USE COMPRESSED IMAGES
- Quit and restart AOL
- Magic Lens does
- This Java applet can take up to several minutes to load, depending
on your internet connection. Make sure that Java is enabled, and try
waiting a little while. If you are using a browser of version 3.0 or
later and either the lens still does not appear or you receive an error
message, please notify firstname.lastname@example.org
(be sure to include your browser type, version number, and platform:
PC or Mac or other).
pull-down menu doesn't work
- Make sure that you are using a browser version 3.0 or later, and that