DoHistoryArchivesite maptech helpabout sitesearch

The History of the Several Towns, Manors, and Patents of the County of Westchester, from Its First Settlement to the Present Time
Bolton, Robert
Published by C.F. Roper, New York
Location of original: Arnold Botany Library, Harvard University
View thumbnails of the 2 pages in this document
View Image
View Image

Page 53


& Delivered the same as his free & Voluntary act & Deed and having Examined the same and finding no material mistake, Erasure or Interlineation Do allow the same to be recorded. 
   The records of the town inform us that the town meeting of 1784 and 5 were held in the meeting house. The judges of the court of common pleas and the supervisors of the county held their meetings May 9th, 1786, in the Presbyterian meeting-house in Bedford, so that we have conclusive proof that this second house of worship was built where it now stands, but which has been vacated by the people for one larger and more commodious, built on the ground owned by the church next to the parsonage.
   In 1785 the Presbyterian Society was incorporated by the name of the Trustees for the Presbyterian Church and Congegration of Bedford, to be governed in Discipline and Worship according to the Directory of the now established Church of Scotland. The first Trustees elected were Zebediah Mills, Israel Lyon and Joseph Owen. These were men, no doubt, who were prominent in erecting the church in 1789.
   The next minister called here was Rev. John Davenport, May 18th, 1786. He was born in Philippi, New Jersey, Aug. 11th, 1752, graduated at the college of New Jersey, in 1769, and studied theology partly under Dr. Bellamy and partly under Dr. Buel, of East Hampton, Long Island. He was ordained by the Presbytery of Long Island, and served the congregation of Southhold as he stated supply for two years. From Southhold he came to Bedford, and settled May 18th, 1786, and remained here a faithful and godly minister for five years. Leaving here, he was called to Deerfield, New Jersey, and settled there Aug. 12th, 1795. He remained there ten years, and was dismissed on account of failing health. He finally became a home missionary in Western New York, and died in Lysander, July 13th, 1821, an amiable and excellent man.
   In June, 1792, Rev. Isaac Foster was settled here, and remained not more than two years. We are in possession of the original subscription list, with the amount promised by each subscriber for the support of Mr. Foster for one year, commencing March 22nd, 1792, in £.s.d., and here we find the names of ancestors of families still residing in Bedford --the Millers, Mills, Holmes, Clarks, Lyons, Benedicts, French, Ambler, etc. Mr. Foster remained probably two years and left, as tradition reports, with his name and that of his wife in bad repute. But we know nothing of the place whence he came, or whither he went, or where he died. Then came a most excellent man, the Rev. Samuel Blatchford, who preached here for some time as stated supply, refusing

 Title page   Page 53 

home your interests who was Martha? Martha's diary book film doing history archive on your own