The History of Augusta
North, James W.
View Image
View Image
View No Frames version

 Title page     Page 226   Page 226 insert     Page 227     Page 228 


Page 226

226 General Henry Sewall 1790.

ble Langdon of New York, and died November 10, 1826, leaving a family in Boston.
  3. Jane Caroline, born July 16, 1795, married Richard Devens of Charlestown, Mass. now deceased.
  4. Mary was married to Charles Devens, a merchant of Boston; she died October 3, 1849, leaving two sons who were educated at Harvard College. The eldest, Gen. Charles Devens, was graduated at Harvard 1838, L.L.B. 1840; served his country with distinction in suppression the rebellion. Arthur Lithgow Devens, the youngest son, was graduated at Harvard 1840. He is a lawyer, residing in New Hampshire.
  5. Fances, born Devember 1, 1800, was married to John L. Payson, late American Consul to Messina.
  6. Frederick A., born 1807, died at the age of fourteen.

  HENRY SEWALL was born at “Old York” in this State October 24, 1752. He was of the sixth generation in lineal descent from Henry Sewall the common ancestor of all the Sewalls in New England, who emigrated from Great Britain to America and settled in Rowley, Mass., in 1634. Henry's father, at York, lived upon a small farm and pursued the mechanical occupation of a “mason.” With him he passed his minority in laboring on the farm and acquiring his father's trade. On the breaking out of the Revolution, at the age of twenty-three years, he enlisted as a soldier in a company raised at Falmouth, (now Portland), which in May, 1775, soon after the battle of Lexington, marched to Cambridge and joined Col. Phinney's regiment of the Massachusetts line. In the course of three of four campaigns he passed through the various subordinate grades to that of captain, which rank he sustained to the end of the war. He was in the battle of Hubbardston on the retreat from Ticonderoga, and in one of the skirmishes previous to the surrender of Burgoyne at Saratoga, of which event he was a witness. When the northern troops were ordered south, after this victory, he went with them to Pennsylvania and joined the main army under Gen. Washington at White Marsh, near Philadelphia, in November following. He wintered at Valley Forge in 1778, and served the remainder of the war in New Jersey and the highlands of New York.
  During the three last years of the war, while a captain, he was aid-de-camp to Major General William Heath of Massachusetts.